A few weeks ago, most everyone celebrated Christmas--when God decided to send His Son into this world in the form of a baby. I grew up knowing this and accepting this, but this year I was able to understand more fully how much of a sacrifice this was. Babies really are completely dependent on other people--for food, sleep, protection, everything! They cannot do things on their own yet. Experiencing this first hand with Elijah opened my eyes this last Christmas. Can you believe, then, that the God of the universe, who has everything and is eveything, left his place in Heaven to come to earth as a helpless, humble baby? How amazing is that? What kind of love would prompt a powerful God to became a baby? I definately would not want to trade places with Elijah. I enjoy my independence way too much. Baby life is tough, I would imagine. Yes, we must be pretty important to God if he chose that way to enter our world.
I also felt closer to Mary. A new mom, unsure of what to do. I think baby Jesus acted just like any other baby. Cried, slept, ate, pooped his 'diaper' or whatever they had back there. And then on top of that, she knew he was special. Like Savior-of-the-world special. Wow. Incredible. And how daunting!
On the lighter side, she probably didn't dress him in a 'Baby's First Christmas' outfit. Although that would have been cute :)
So yes, Christmas with Elijah was fun! We spent time with both sides of the family. He got his first pair of Christmas Jammies--hopefully a tradition that will continue. (And yes, it says 'Baby's First Christmas')
12-24-11
12-25-11
Christmas Morning (I don't know why he wasn't happy to open his stocking!!)
Christmas Morning (I don't know why he wasn't happy to open his stocking!!)
12-26-11
With Uncle Evan!
12-27-11
With Sarah and Julia
(Ashlea was there earlier, but we forgot to get a pic with all of us!!)
Some new things going on with Elijah....
We had a check-up last week. Elijah came in at a whopping 26 inches and 13 lbs 9 oz. 95% for height and 75% for weight. Perfect :) The doc was amazed with Elijah's strength. Put him on his tummy and he pushed himself up with his arms and held his head high! Doc said this was a 4 month old thing. So proud :) And...get this...the doc confirmed teeth starting already. Elijah has been chewing on his hands a lot, so I looked in his mouth and saw white. Doc checked, and yup, she said it was teeth! Although they will probably go up and down for a little while before they truly come in. I have tried to look again, but Elijah won't let us :) He just sucks/chews on our fingers and then pushes his tongue out. I have, however, seen them (yes two) while he is crying or yawning.
We also pulled out our jumper for Elijah to start using. The kind you hang from a doorway. He does super well supporting his torso/neck/head, but we put a blanket behind him for more support. And we put a pillow under his feet so he is not jumping on the hard ground. Not yet ready for that. (And he doesn't really jump yet. Just pushes himself with his legs) He loves being in it...but after a while starts to get tired and then fusses.
12-28-11
1-1-12
And!! Elijah has begun to roll over from his tummy to his back. At first I thought it was just coincidence...like his arm was just positioned right and it enabled him to turn over, but he will do it 2 or 3 times in a row. (I tried to get it on video but when I got the camera out, he stopped!)
This morning, I held Elijah up to a mirror...and he smiled at himself! Multiple times! I'm sure he doesn't recognize himself, but he definitely saw a face and smiled. And he was probably smiling back at his own smile :) It was cute :)
And he's starting to laugh/giggle!! Here you can hear some of it :)
Man--so many new things!! And so much fun!!
What we aren't having luck with lately is sleeping. He was doing so well at night, waking up only once, maybe twice. But over the last week it is two or three times, if not more. The other night it was every two or 3 hours. Not sure what is going on. Maybe the teeth? Not to mention mommy has been sick for a couple of weeks, so this has not helped her at all! We have been trying to put Elijah down to bed a little earlier. I have been reading on bed time and hoping this helps. I also want to/need to start a bedtime routine. Nothing fancy. Just things like feeding, changing, getting jammies on and reading a book. Around the same time every night. The last few nights, bedtime has not been a huge challenge, but last week was painful! Let's just say, mommy and daddy are very tired.
Naps are still a challenge. Getting a little better. I have noticed that he will sleep for about 45 minutes and then wake up. I have been trying now to put him back to sleep, and this has worked well! Sleeps for another hour or so. I also read that a naptime routine is just as important as a bedtime one. The key is getting them down BEFORE they get too tired. Or else it's too late. I guess babies don't sleep as well when they are overtired. It's tough, though, when I have to work and Elijah is at the grandparents. A routine is hard when he is at different places throughout the day. But they are supportive of him getting naps, which is great!
Elijah turned 3 months last Saturday! How time flies :) We are enjoying him more everyday and learning new things all the time! He is our joy :) Yes, there are some rough times, but with all good things there must be! But we would never change the way are lives are. God has blessed us with a most wonderful blessing. We love our little man!
Enjoy some pics :)
12-29-11
So strong!
12-30-11
haha
12-31-11
Helping mom with laundry (don't worry! it's clean!)
1-2-12
In his jumper!
1-3-12
Getting a pedi with mom and Aunt Aimee
1-4-12
1-5-12
Yes! Warm enough for a walk...OUTSIDE!!
1-5-12
Got a bumbo chair!!
My Aunt (Aimee) Is Super Rad!!
1-6-12
Another outing outside!
1-7-12
Falls for the lights!
1-8-12
:)
Thats all for now!!!
very nice audrey! -- amanda!
ReplyDelete