It's been a while since I have been able to blog. I apologize. Being a mom is hard work!
A week after Elijah was born, we headed out on our first family vacation. A road trip to Washington. The longs days of driving were very difficult, but once we got there, we had a great time. We were able to see a lot of family and introduce Elijah. The reason for our trip was to visit my grandparents on the coast. We wanted to make sure they were able to meet both Zech and Elijah. It was so great to see them again. Overall the trip was successful. Elijah was able to 'see' the ocean for the first time, although I'm sure he won't remember it :) We were able to spend some time downtown Seattle, although most of our time was just spent with family. It was a great time.
The first few days of being home, however, were not so great. It was so difficult to adjust back to being home. The apartment was a mess from the trip, I was sleep deprived, and was now without the constant support of family. Yes, we have support here, but on our trip we were always around other people and were able to get help. Now Zech was back to work and I was home alone with Elijah. What a change of pace.
The main thing that made everything a challenge was the issue of feeding. After just a week of feeding 'normal' we realized that I was not going to be able to do it. I was in so much pain that I had to stop. I ended up having to pump and bottle feed during our trip. It was so difficult to make that decision as that is not how I wanted things to go. And it made feeding times twice as long and such a production. It was not as hard on our trip as there were people around to take care of Elijah while I went away to pump. However, once we got home, I now had to figure out how to take care of Elijah with both of my hands tied up. Talk about feeling totally helpless. We were trying to feed him normally with some help, but that added a lot of stress as the pain was still there. However, after a few days of making a huge effort to feed 'normally' we finally started to get the hang of things. We are now hardly using a bottle unless we are going out somewhere. I still have not been able to master feeding in public. We are working on it :) Here is some advice for those moms-to-be. Get help if you need it!! We are not meant to do this alone. If I had not gotten help, I believe I would not have even been able to pump and healing would have taken so long. Breastfeeding is something we have to learn, not simply something that just comes naturally without effort. There is help out there and it is totally worth it!!!!
Now that feeding is going better, our days tend to flow smoother. There is not a definite schedule just yet, but it is getting there. I am able to get things done. I have asked for help from family, which has been a tremendous blessing. The apartment looks more like home now and I am able to function in it. I am still exhausted, but my emotions seem to be stabilizing. Thank God!!!
But enough about me!! Elijah is growing so fast!! I can't believe it. He is already holding his head up and looking around on his own. We have to watch it of course because it's not perfect, but it's amazing to see how strong he is! And today I got him to smile! It didn't last long, but it was definitely a smile. Seeing that today makes the frustration worth it.
Elijah has been having some issues while he sleeps. He makes these crazy grunting noises and acts like he can't breathe right. And when he does this he curls up. It usually happens about an hour after he eats and then again when he is waking up. We sat him up a little bit last night and it seemed to help a bit. I thought it was gas, but he burps fine and nothing comes of the episodes. When we went to the chiro today, they took an x-ray and noticed that his upper spine--neck area--does not have as much of a curve as wanted. This can contribute to the breathing issues. So hopefully things will start to get better.
Here are some 'pics of the day.' I'm only missing one as my cousin took one and I have yet to get it from her :)
10-13-11
Sleeping in the car on the way to Spokane
Sleeping in the car on the way to Spokane
10-14-11
With daddy in Bozeman, Montana
10-15-11
Aunt Dar was a great help when we got to Spokane. She loved little Elijah
10-15-11
Cousin Caleb and Tiffany!
10-16-11
Driving to Ocean Shores, Washington, to see my Grandma
10-17-11
Getting ready for a day on the beach!
10-17-11
Us on the beach. Elijah enjoyed his Moby Wrap
10-17-11
Elijah with mommy on the beach
10-17-11
I love watching him sleep. He was taking a little nap on Grandma's couch.
He really likes his hands up by his face.
10-18-11
Elijah and great-grandma Porter
10-18-11
Family pic!
10-18-11
Waiting in line at the original Starbucks downtown Seattle. Elijah enjoyed his carrier.
10-19-11
Cousins! (Elijah is the little one on the left)
10-19-11
Funny cousins! Paris couldn't keep her eyes on the camera :)
10-21-11
Manel and Elijah
On the way back to SF, we stopped in Rapid City and saw my youth pastor from high school and his family. It was so great to see them.
10-21-11
The whole fam
10-22-11
Our first morning back home. Yes, we are tired!!
10-22-11
First time visiting Brett. Yes, 10 seconds after Brett was holding him, Elijah gave him a little 'present'. Hahaha
10-23-11
Yes, I forgot a pic this day. But remembered late that night! So, no worries, we didn't miss a day.
10-24-11
Taking a nap. We swaddled him, as we normally do to sleep, and he managed to get his arm out. Crazy man!
10-25-11
Again, sleeping. See his hand? He really knows how to get his hands free of a swaddle.
10-26-11
Julie and Anita came over to visit with their grandson Eli!
Elijah sleeping in his Mody Wrap while mommy made dinner.
10-27-11
Hanging with dad!
10-27-11
And not sure what to think about the camera. Hahaha. He makes the funniest faces!
10-28-11
In his robe after a bath. Looks more like he is ready for a fight!
10-29-11
Elijah's first time on his floor mat.
10-29-11
He seemed to enjoy it!
10-30-11
For a Halloween party, we went as Blue's Clues characters. Mr. Salt and Mrs. Pepper and the baby Paprika. But we changed Elijah to Paprik'o' to be gender appropriate :)
10-31-11
Elijah with dad (or is it grandpa) and cousin Michael (or is it Pikachu)
11-1-11
Bath/Shower time!! He likes sitting in his bath, but enjoys a towel over him to keep warm. What he really likes is the shower spray. He just puts his head under it and lets the water run down his head and face. It's super cute!
Until next time...Peace



No comments:
Post a Comment